Tonight I'm at the hospital waiting for a lady to deliver. She came into the clinic today with contractions. Normally we wouldn't have sent her down to deliver but she lives about an hour away. So, instead of her having to return in a few days, we decided to let her come down to the Labor and Delivery unit and see if we can't make her deliver a baby.
I've only been on the rotation a few days, but I've noticed that sometimes I do a lot of waiting. At other times, it's all-of-the-sudden an emergency. Today was a good example. We had a patient come in for an induction. We got her going and then went to clinic. This afternoon I got a call stating that the patient was getting ready so I better head down. I got to the floor quickly only to find that she wasn't quite ready. So, after a quick check, I decided to go out to the desk and talk with the nurses. Not 3 minutes later, there was a "Staff Emergency" code for her room. That basically means that the nurse thought she was about to deliver. I ran back into the room, got suited up, and waited. It still took about another hour to deliver the baby.
So, here I sit in L&D, waiting for a primip (that's a first-time mom) to progress. It's going to be a long night. In the meantime, I watch to see how much "Lots of space" there is on gmail. Right now there is 7209.791980 megabytes. And it keeps getting bigger! Plenty of room for emails.
I hear ya girl! I work in L&D and we do alot of rushing around like the world might end on eminute and the next I am thinking to myself, "I'm not getting any younger!" Ah the joys! You have to admit though, most of the time L&D is the happiest place on earth!
ReplyDeleteI guess that's why you get paid the 'big bucks', right?
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah!
ReplyDeleteI love your wedding pics....It looks like you are a busy women. I never knew they called a first time mom PRIMIP. Funny. Where is L&D? TAKE CARE!
Sarah!! How are you?? I found Rebecca on facebook and she sent me to your blog. Your wedding pics are BEAUTIFUL!! Check out my blog at thehaleshappenings.blogspot.com and you can see what I'm up to. I don't post as much as I should, but at least something is there. It's so nice to find my long lost friend again!!
ReplyDelete