Saturday, October 02, 2010

Painting and Window Treatments and Cooking, Oh My!

It has been a busy time for us! We have nearly finished painting the main floor of the house. It is quite the transformation -- from magenta, green, brown and plain to sandstone with white trim and "Morning Mist" in the bathroom! What a change it is. The house feels so much bigger and open. It really has been fun. We also planted a little flower garden in the front yard -- mostly bulbs -- hoping that next year it will be lovely. Fortunately we've had a lot of water lately so we haven't needed to water. That's always nice.


The Piano Room


The Family Room


The Dining Room


The Bathroom

Along with getting a lot of the painting done, we've been trying how to decorate the house. It is quite a large house for us -- right now it's mostly empty upstairs. The first baby step towards decorating has been the rug that I'm making and the simple window treatments.




(I'm kinda proud of the runner! I bought a bunch of $1 rugs at a dollar store and am sewing them together to make a runner. I love the different colors. It will be longer when I finish but this is where it's at right now.)


The other big thing I've been doing with my time is trying out new recipes. It has been so much fun. My sisters and I have our recipe blog here and I also have been looking out for other websites and such for new ideas. I really love it. Sometimes they take me all day (like the cinnamon rolls I made today) but it still is enjoyable. Plus, Lars always likes the food I make -- or at least he says he does. One time I made chicken curry. I followed the recipe exactly. It was horrible. Way too spicy for me to eat and I really like spicy dishes. Lars kept eating his and said it was "a little spicy". Bless his heart. I used that chicken (after I took off most of the curry sauce) in a casserole later which actually turned out pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I have actually put 4 of these rugs in the washer at a time--sure it will work. I love these rugs. Thanks to Lars for showing me "buzz."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really liking that piano room now-- it used to be plain old white, but now it actually looks interesting. It is a bit too loud to be a piano room, though. Any suggestions? (We might need to put a rug in there to dampen the acoustics a little.)

    ReplyDelete