Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Secret No More


Well, most of the family know that The Hubs and I are expecting! We are pretty excited. We found out at the beginning of October but I really knew a few weeks before that when I just wasn't feeling too well. I've been quite tired and nauseated during these first few months. I have been fortunate enough not to have any vomiting (for which I'm so grateful!). I've also noticed a metallic-like taste in my mouth constantly. Gum has been very helpful. I'm finally starting to get my appetite back (and how!!!) but still have near daily abdominal pain. Lars reminds me that "this is the easiest part of raising a child" so I'm trying to keep that in mind.

I thought I would share how I told Lars that we were going to have a baby. It was kinda clever.

I took the pregnancy test early in the morning (even before Lars left for work but didn't tell him). I decided to make a special dinner for him that night and give him a little present to announce. I spent at least an hour at Target walking up and down the baby aisle looking for something cute to give to Lars. I must have looked like a weirdo walking around that section of the store for so long and crying. I finally found a little bib in green that says "I love Daddy". It was the best I could do. There really isn't much that is gender neutral; at least not at Target.

I went to the Library and checked out the book "What to expect when you are expecting". I figured that even though I know a lot medically about pregnancy, I don't know ANYTHING about experiencing pregnancy. Plus, I thought that book may be able to answer some questions that Lars might have. I cried as I thumbed through the book after getting back to my car in the parking lot.

For dinner, I bought some baby back ribs at the store already cooked. The thought of cooking hasn't been too pleasant for a little while now. I did however cook some baby carrots and baby potatoes to go along with the baby back ribs. (Hopefully, everyone can see the theme here)

Lars got home from work that evening and was chatty about work and his projects. I was so anxious to share the news but was trying to be as patient as possible. We sat at the table and Lars commented that it was strange we were having ribs for dinner. He doesn't like them very much so I never make them. We started eating and I told him I had a little present for him. He opened it and pulled out the book first. A smiled crept across his face as he asked why we would need that. Next he pulled out the bib. Then, the positive pregnancy test (it was in a zippie - so don't be alarmed). Then I asked him if he noticed anything special about dinner - he hadn't. I emphasized the dishes and it seemed to click.

So, that's it. That's the story. I'm due May 26, 2011.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats!! i own 2 copies of the book so you can have one when i see you next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you and Lars. This is awesome news! Keep us all posted on how you all are doing!

    ReplyDelete